Xico is one of the only places serving modern Mexican food in Portland, and in my search, it immediately stood out, both for its wide selection of 30+ mezcals and for its Mezcal Experiences, a flight of three mezcals served with three Mexican bites by chef Kelly Myers. When I reached out to Xico, Denis Lindsay, a man lucky enough to bear the title, Mezcal Manager, told me Xico had just updated its mezcal flights.
Mezcal is not just smoky tequila; in fact, tequila is a type of mezcal (like scotch is a type of whiskey), and mezcals can be made from 30 different types of agave — each with their own flavor profiles, much like different wine grapes. Tequila is only made with one: blue agave.
See what it's all about in the video:
Looking for more? Head to Oaxaca with me to tour a mezcal harvest and the Lalocura mezcal distillery.
- Watch: Puerto Escondido Mini Travel Guide, Mexico [Ravenous Traveler]
- The Best Things I Just Ate In Oaxaca, Mexico [Ravenous Traveler]
- Watch: This Is How Small-Production Mezcal Is Made [Ravenous Traveler]
- How to Book a Real-Deal Mezcal Tour in Oaxaca [Ravenous Traveler]
- Take a Tour of Puerto Escondido's Culinary Center, the Mercado [Ravenous Traveler]